Suggested shopping list for this recipe:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B009YXE7N0″ locale=”US” tag=”bprowloss-20″]Peak Instant Full-Cream Dry Whole Milk Powder[/easyazon_link]
- 4 cups (950ml) of milk or
- ¾ cups (120g) of powdered milk (if not using whole milk)
- Combine 4 cups (950ml) of milk or ¾ cups (120g) of powdered milk, made up per instructions in the saucepan. Set the burner to medium heat and place the saucepan on the burner.
- Whisk the mixture constantly to keep it from sticking to the pan. Gradually heat the milk to 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit (82 to 87 degrees Celsius). Determine the temperature by inserting the instant read thermometer in the milk periodically. When the milk has reached the desired temperature, remove the saucepan from the stove and allow the milk to cool down to 115 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (46 to 48 degrees Celsius). Once the milk cools, continue to the next step.
- Spoon 2 tbs. (48g) of the plain yoghurt into a small bowl and add 2 tbs. (30ml) of the heated milk. Whisk together until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the mixture to the remainder of warm milk and stir constantly for approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into a storage container and cover.
- Place the container in the cooler and cover (or wrap the container in the kitchen towels). Let sit for 4 to 6 hours until the yogurt sets.
- Refrigerate the yoghurt. The yoghurt will be ready for consumption when it has completely chilled.
Stir in fruits and flavorings after yoghurt has set but before placing in the refrigerator.
Any variety of milk can be used to make acidophilus yoghurt, but fat content will increase with a higher fat content milk.
Powdered milk is only required if whole milk is not used.
Look for the National Yogurt Association's (NYA) special Live & Active Cultures seal on the yoghurt container to verify that it contains active cultures.
If flavored yoghurt is desired, consider adding fresh fruit, sugar, jam, jelly, maple syrup, or other flavors as desired.
Airtight glass canning jars work best for storage, but plastic storage containers with secure lids are acceptable.